Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Puregon injektion Nummer eins, aka: First Follistim injection.

I started the FSH injections today. I am not a person who is comfortable with needles and blood. Whenever I have to give blood for a test, I look far away from my arm. The person who is drawing blood always asks if I'm okay. I get pale and I am a flincher.

Yesterday, after figuring out how to put together the injection pen, I found a couple videos on Youtube that showed how to do an injection properly. The one from Follistim was really helpful, because it showed me that I should pinch my fat. I think this is more necessary for people who do not have much fat around the middle. This is not a problem I have.

(I hate videos when the hands have a manicure like this. My fingers are rarely manicured, and even when they are, they don't look like this. Can't they skip the french tips? It looks so...sleazy. Like at any moment that woman is going to break out the toys.)

One video, though, freaked me the fuck out. This woman is obviously nervous, but the way she shrieks during the injection made me blood run a little cold. It was funny and scary at the same time.

I read on message boards and blogs that it helps if you numb the area with cold first. So, I got my pen out of the fridge and grabbed my alcohol swabs. Then I got the cold pack out of the freezer and put it on my stomach. I washed my hands and sat down in front of my supplies.

My hands were shaking and I was very nervous. I put on some Modern Family via Hulu so that I would be a little distracted. I cleaned everything I was supposed to, took off the ice pack, pinched my fat, and slid the needle in.

It really wasn't too bad. I felt the needle go in, though, if I didn't know it was happening, I doubt I would have felt it. I let go of my stomach, pushed the plunger, and waited the five seconds. There was a tiny bead of blood, but other than that, really not a big deal.

I'm glad to have the first injection over. I am hoping that that this is the only time in my life that I ever have to do this. I would not want to do this every day for years. This has a very good purpose at the end of it.

This weekend, I'm going to be on a sewing retreat with a bunch of women in the middle of the woods. I'm looking forward to it. I haven't been on one of these for about a year and a half. It will be a good way to get to know some people. I'll have to do two injections while I'm there and I'm hoping I'll be able to find some ice for the numbing, but if not, I'm sure it will be fine.

So, self injection. Not awesome, but not the worst thing ever by far. And Herr Doktor has promised fewer effects than Clomid, so I'm looking forward to that. I don't expect this treatment to work the first time out, because nothing else has, but I am glad to be at this stage.

CD 3

No comments:

Post a Comment